Sunday, February 19, 2006

Leunig on the nose

Cartoonist Michael Leunig is on the nose with me, not only because of his anti-Israel cartoon but because of his whining tone over what amounted, in the end, to a simple joke (his cartoon being sent to the Iranian newspaper by a satyrical comedian).

It seems that the Muslims don't like him either: he's depicted here in company with Flemming Rose of Jyllands Posten and Dutch politician Ayaan Hirsi Ali, all sentenced to death due to Allah's wrath.

I very much admire Ayaan Hirsi Ali. Here is a photo and part of a recent speech:

Ayaan Hirsi Ali

Ayaan Hirsi Ali @ ayaanhirsiali.web-log.nl



The Right to Offend.

I am here to defend the right to offend.

It is my conviction that the vulnerable enterprise called democracy cannot exist without free expression, particularly in the media. Journalists must not forgo the obligation of free speech, which people in other hemispheres are denied.

I am of the opinion that it was correct to publish the cartoons of Muhammad in Jyllands Posten and it was right to re-publish them in other papers across Europe.

[...]

I think that the prophet was wrong to have placed himself and his ideas above critical thought.

I think that the prophet Muhammad was wrong to have subordinated women to men.

I think that the prophet Muhammad was wrong to have decreed that gays be murdered.

I think that the prophet Muhammad was wrong to have said that apostates must be killed.

He was wrong in saying that adulterers should be flogged and stoned, and the hands of thieves should be cut off.

He was wrong in saying that those who die in the cause of Allah will be rewarded with paradise.

He was wrong in claiming that a proper society could be built only on his ideas.

The prophet did and said good things. He encouraged charity to others. But I wish to defend the position that he was also disrespectful and insensitive to those who disagreed with him.

I think it is right to make critical drawings and films of Muhammad. It is necessary to write books on him in order to educate ordinary citizens on Muhammad.

I do not seek to offend religious sentiment, but I will not submit to tyranny. Demanding that people who do not accept Muhammad’s teachings should refrain from drawing him is not a request for respect but a demand for submission.

full speech


I wish this fine woman well in her courageous efforts.
 

1 Comments:

At Monday, 20 February, 2006, Blogger Bob Hoeppner said...

Brave woman, thoughtful words.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home