Wednesday, May 11, 2005

ambivalent goddess

Here is a little of the goddess speaking for herself:
Give heed to my poverty and my wealth.
Do not be arrogant to me when I am cast out upon the earth,
    and you will find me in those that are to come.
And do not look upon me on the dung-heap
    nor go and leave me cast out,
    and you will find me in the kingdoms.
And do not look upon me when I am cast out among those who
    are disgraced and in the least places,
    nor laugh at me.
And do not cast me out among those who are slain in violence.
But I, I am compassionate and I am cruel.

The Nag Hammadi Library: The Thunder, Perfect Mind

Like Allah, the goddess is both cruel and compassionate. She is just more up front about it than he is. She can also admit to her poverty as well as to Her wealth; to her ordinariness as well as to Her might. She can be cast on the dung heap like any other rubbish and she can be revered by the poets as the Holiest and the Highest and the Most Powerful. She is and She contains all the opposites in One.
The puzzle pieces fall in place
A circus day with little grace
The venture is a trap for soul
And will reveal no godly face.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home