Tuesday, September 06, 2005

a whole world dancing

Even if the whole world were gripped by sadness

He would not be sad who holds love firm in hand.

And if love makes him dance, even a little,

There are worlds and worlds within that little land.


#374: From Rumi's Kolliyaat-e Shams-e Tabrizi

Search word: whole

My health is returning: there is healing and a sense of becoming whole. I have been overcome by feelings of disaster, "end of the world" impressions. This kind of dark night of the soul happens quite frequently if one is alert to it. It is interesting to watch where a new light emerges. It is precisely because a new light is dawning that the darkness was necessary. The new light can never emerge while the old light is holding sway and taking centre stage.

Rumi's verse pictures this scenario using the image of holding "love firm in hand". If there is one thing that one cares for, some thing ever so small or insignificant, it will carry one through. It might be nameless, it might be better even not to name it. It can even be dangerous to name it. The reality of the new light might not turn out to correspond with a naming assigned by the old light. This is how old cynicism can kill new hope: by naming it and reducing it to non-existence.

It doesn't matter what disaster has struck. It doesn't even matter if one is trapped inside a prison or a dreary job. All that matters is that one hold on to one's true love, whatever it is that makes one dance a little, whatever it is that brings spontaneous joy. It is always there but the dawn and springtime and budding flowers evoke it and poets have sung its praise endlessly and will keep doing that forever.

Why wait for budding flowers? Or springtime? Or dawn? Why wait when a collection of Rumi's love poems can lie eternally at hand?
 

4 Comments:

At Tuesday, 06 September, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey Arizona,

Not Fair!!! I think you visited my blog and used my style for template and writing skills.

***Even if the whole world were gripped by sadness
He would not be sad who holds love firm in hand.
And if love makes him dance, even a little,
There are worlds and worlds within that little land.

wow so rightfully said! I am just amazed by those words.did you write it yourself?IF you did ,WOW!GREAT.
You are also a fellow aussie like me...just not fair matey! and live in sydney.I m not a huge follower of religion..but as i see on your blog,you have written about gnosis and bible..please if you can share ur wisdom on my blog..a request!

Please explain your blog to me. I am really grumpy right now because of you. Ok you have a nice day

Visit my blog and we can be good blog mates..


Keshi

 
At Tuesday, 06 September, 2005, Blogger Arizona said...

Hi Keshi,

The poem you like is from the Sufi poet-mystic Rumi.

You have an interesting blog with many many guests. Well done!

I'm an old woman (almost 60 years old) and I write in an old-fashioned way. I kind of understand the writing style you and your friends use but it's just not my own language. :(

I'd be happy for you to drop by here occasionally and say "hello" and ask questions. :)

I'll add you to my blog list and I promise to visit regularly and see what's happening there at your place.

And no, of course, I didn't steal your template or writing style. >:(

Best wishes,
Arizona

 
At Tuesday, 06 September, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello Arizona,

I am so sorry for being so bitchy. I was mean and arrogant and I am truly sorry about it. Please forgive my rude behaviour. I don't know why I would say such things but I guess I was depressed and wanted to leash out on some unknown person on the internet. I am sorry I chose you.

After reading your hearfelt and wonderful reply to my obnoxious comment, I feel very ashamed. I read your entire blog and want to say, it was very touching and intelligent. Please let me know if I am forgiven and do visit my blog.

The world needs more understanding and sensitive people like you

Thanks Arizona and I wish you the best in life.

Take care

Keshi

 
At Tuesday, 06 September, 2005, Blogger Arizona said...

Hi Keshi,

I didn't see your earlier comments as bitchy or obnoxious. I took it as joking (about the template, etc) and meant my response to be a joke as well. You never can tell with the internet, can you?

There is nothing to forgive but I'll forgive anyway. :)

I have visited your blog and will continue to visit as I think you are a very interesting writer. Nothing wrong with being depressed now and again. As you will see from my own writing, I think depression is often the soil from which our richest insights grow.

Take care and see you around,

Arizona

 

Post a Comment

<< Home