Thursday, May 11, 2006

earth orbit

You imprisoned in air nine spheres of emerald
till you brought into orbit a form of earth.
Water, what are you washing? Wind, what are you seeking?
Thunder, why are you roaring? Sphere, why are you turning?

Ghazal 2589, trans A.J. Arberry


I've captured this small excerpt from a Rumi ghazal because it seems to me to suggest that Rumi was aware that the earth was orbiting around the sun as well as turning on its own axis.

See also:


Gang leader @ smh.com.au



The above image seems to fit well with these further lines from the same ghazal:

What place is there for the head on the road of fidelity?
What worth has life itself in the religion of manliness?
That man is perfect in quality who is the quarry of annihilation;
there is room for not one hair in the circle of uniqueness.

 

2 Comments:

At Sunday, 14 May, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I, for one, always enjoy your viewpoints, Arizona. I am glad you have decided to return to your marvelous blog.

Like Bob, if you start a new series, I will be sure to pay attention to it, time permitting, of course.

Take care,

Paul/YmirGF

 
At Sunday, 14 May, 2006, Blogger Arizona said...

Thanks, Paul/YmirGF,
I do intend to keep writing. I'm still feeling around for a new focus but, for now, I'll keep adding to this blog.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home