Thursday, September 06, 2007

remaining blind and deaf

I am the Spirit Moon
with no place.
You do not see me for I am hidden
inside the soul.
Others want you for themselves but I call you
back to yourself.
You give me many names but I am
beyond all names.
Sometimes you say I am deceitful
but as long as you are
I will be too.
Until you remain blind and deaf
I will be invisible.
I am the garden of all gardens
I speak as the King of all flowers
I am the spring of all waters.
My words are like a ship and the sea
is their meaning.
Come to me and I will take you
to the depths of spirit.

Rumi: Ghazal (Ode) 1518
trans Azima Melita Kolin and Maryam Mafi via Sunlight


Today Rumi speaks in the first person as God, as the Greater Self, the Larger I. Just as yesterday (from the Mathnawi) he wrote that "the water of speech gushes from the mouth of the dumb", so today he tells us he is "the spring of all waters" visible only to those who "remain blind and deaf". This, for me, resonates strongly with the following lines from St John of the Cross:

To arrive at being all
desire to be nothing.
To come to the knowledge of all
desire the knowledge of nothing.
To come to the pleasure you have not
you must go by the way in which you enjoy not.
To come to the knowledge you have not
you must go by the way in which you know not.

The Ascent Of Mount Carmel
trans Kieran Kavanaugh OCD
via wikipedia


DDDD



In English, there are many words with negative connotations that begin with the letter D, as the sampling above indicates. However, it is also true that:

Out of doubt can come a new faith,
Out of dread can come a new courage,
Out of doom comes a new dawn,
Out of the dark comes a new light,
The devil alone can fully challenge us,
Deep in the dung heap lies the pearl of great price,
After death comes the resurrection, and
We reach God only by venturing far enough down.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home