Thursday, July 24, 2008

quatrain 36

I've visited this quatrain previously at staying awake. Sunlight has three further translations or versions, to which I'll add the Houshmand one.
I cannot sleep in your presence.
In your absence, tears prevent me.
You watch me My Beloved
on each sleepless night and
only You can see the difference.

trans Azima Melita Kolin and Maryam Mafi

When I am with you, we stay up all night.
When you're not here, I can't go to sleep.

Praise God for these two insomnias!
And the difference between them.

version Coleman Barks

as long as I'm with you
I can't sleep
having you
as long as you are away
I can't sleep
crying for you
dear God
I'm sleepless
both nights
but look at the
difference in the
two insomnias

trans Nader Khalili

When I'm with you, your love keeps me awake.
When I'm not, I can't sleep for weeping.
Good God... I'm up all night both nights, awake,
But what a difference just your presence makes.

trans Zara Houshmand

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home