Wednesday, January 11, 2006

just home

I asked, "Where is your home, beautiful moon?"

She said, "In the wreck of your drunken heart.

I am the sun shining into your ruin.

Long may you call this wild wasteland your home."


#1584: From Rumi's Kolliyaat-e Shams-e Tabrizi

Search word: home

My son is home safe, sleeping soundly in his own bed. I discover Rumi making sacred what is usually seen as to be shunned: drunkenness, ruin, wilderness. Our simple raw humanity, after all. I think Rumi would have loved Homer Simpson, that bumbling soul who reels from one life adventure to another, oblivious of any big picture, unguided by any lofty ideal, without singleness of purpose, just taking each day as it comes.

Since I've no idea what's coming next, I'll just stick to what today demands.

Leunig on life

Leunig's motto on life @ Inside Paul's Head


 

3 Comments:

At Wednesday, 11 January, 2006, Blogger Bob Hoeppner said...

Glad he's back safe and sound.

 
At Thursday, 15 February, 2007, Blogger Paul Martin said...

Arizona, Inside Paul's Head is no longer around, since I changed ISPs a few years ago (the pages stayed up for a while, but have since been removed by Ozemail).

I may resurrect some of those pages one day. Meanwhile, my web presence is in the form of film reviews and discussion at Melbourne Film Blog (nothing about Leunig, I'm afraid).

 
At Thursday, 15 February, 2007, Blogger Arizona said...

Thanks for letting me know, Paul.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home