Saturday, January 28, 2006

lost hands

When this beauty smiles, your hands start to clap.

When she offers the cup, your toes start to tap.

And when, from behind her veil, an eyebrow peeks out,

Angels play that rainbow and your fingers snap.


#1075: From Rumi's Kolliyaat-e Shams-e Tabrizi

Search word: hand

She smiles so, this beauty, that your hand reaches out.

She offers you the cup just so, you can't help but touch.

And when, from behind her veil, an eyebrow peeks out,

That angel's rainbow beckons so, you can't help but touch.

Alternative translation here.


My friend is working clay with her hands but my own hands are not tempted. They continue to prefer this keyboard. And yet, here I am at the keyboard with no will to write at all. Perhaps I need to seek out what else my hands want to do today.
 

4 Comments:

At Saturday, 28 January, 2006, Blogger Leila said...

I love Rumi, and not just beacuse of all the hype- im far removerd from that!

favourite rumi quote: "a thousand half loves must be forsaken to take one whole heart home"

 
At Sunday, 29 January, 2006, Blogger Bob Hoeppner said...

I like the playfulness of this quatrain (first translation.)

 
At Sunday, 29 January, 2006, Blogger Arizona said...

You're right, Bob, and the second (I think chronologically the first) translation sucks in comparison.

 
At Sunday, 29 January, 2006, Blogger Arizona said...

Thanks for your comment, Leila. Nice to meet another fellow admirer of Rumi. Good quote, too.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home