Saturday, April 01, 2006

a drunken mask

I went to my love on a moment's thought.

She said, "Go away from my door. You are drunk."

"Open the door," I said, "I am not."

"Go away," she said, "You are what you are."


#1885: From Rumi's Kolliyaat-e Shams-e Tabrizi


I frankly do not "get" this quatrain today. I imagine it must contain some word play that doesn't translate across from Farsi to English. It's a credit to Rumi that a lot of his ideas and imagery do translate well. It's no surprise to find that sometimes it just doesn't.

Yesterday I watched V for Vendetta, released here just 2 days ago. It contains powerful symbols that are sure to act as vehicles for change in the near future. Changes for the better, too, since the movie has a hopeful feel to it. My son also reached manhood 2 days ago and I'm heartened by this movie as a sign that the culture he has inherited has the energy and inspiration to promise him a bright future.

In this film, actor Hugo Weaving puts in a stunning performance despite never having a chance to show a face with all of its revealing expressions. May Rumi's verse today also simply stand, just as it is with its meaning lying hidden behind its mask.

V's mask @ wikipedia.org


 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home