Monday, June 16, 2008

third Jesus



I've just finished reading Deepak Chopra: The Third Jesus (Rider, 2008). I think he has a nice idea when he identifies the third Jesus as the one we receive and understand in contrast to the first or historical Jesus and the second Jesus of theological dogma. Chopra understands this third Jesus a little more specifically as a teacher wishing to show others the path to God-consciousness. So Jesus as Chopra's hero is clearly Chopra himself.

I found the endless talk of God-consciousness a little tedious by about a quarter of the way through the book but I plowed ahead to give the author his due. In the end he was not convincing, not to me. I think it comes down to a question of language. Does the expression "God-consciousness" really lead us to a greater clarity as to what Jesus was trying to teach? For me, no. It's too cumbersome an expression. I think I know Chopra better from reading the book but I don't believe I know Jesus better.

I would like to see what Chopra makes of Mohammad. I guess he'll get around to that sooner or later.


Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At Monday, 16 June, 2008, Blogger Anders Branderud said...

Hello! I found your website. My name is Anders Branderud and I am from Sweden.

Who was the original Nazarene – in Hebrew it’s Netzarim.
Who was the historical “Jesus”?
I think this book will tell you about that - “How Jesus Became Christian” av Barrie Wilson, Ph.D.

Did you know that the original “Matthew” was written in Hebrew and it’s called Hebrew Matityahu. It speaks about an Orthodox Jewish leader..

I am a follower of Ribi Yehoshua – Mashiakh – who practiced Torah including Halakhah with all his heart.
He was born in Betlehem 7 B.C.E . His faher name was Yoseiph and mother’s name was Mir′ yâm. He had twelve followers. He tought in the Jewish batei-haknesset (synagogues). Thousands of Jews were interested in His Torah-teachings. The “Temple” Sadducees (non-priests who bought their priest-ship in the “Temple” from the Romans, because they were assimilated Hellenist and genealogically non-priests acting as priests in the “Temple”; they were known by most 1st-century Jews as “Wicked Priests.” decided to crucify him. So they did - together with the Romans. His followers were called Netzarim (meaning offshoots [of a olive tree]) and they continued to pray with the other Jews in the synagogues.

Christianity does not teach the teachings of Ribi Yehoshua. Ribi Yehoshuas teachings were pro-Torah.

If you want to learn more click at our website www.netzarim.co.il -- than click at the lick "Christians"; click at my photo to read about what made my switch religion from Christianity to Orthodox Judaism.

Anders Branderud
Follower of Ribi Yehoshua in Orthodox Judaism

 
At Tuesday, 17 June, 2008, Blogger Arizona said...

Thank you for that information on Ribi Yehoshua, Anders. I had not been aware of this movement.

I have not published your second comment which seemed to be a repeat of the first. I regret having to moderate comments but, if I don't, I get too much spam comment.

Ideally, I would like to see a situation where any view of Jesus was allowable as a private opinion. It would be best to see religious persecution abandoned.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home