Thursday, January 12, 2006

balm or barb

"Don't think you're above them," I told my heart.

Be a balm for their wounds, don't be a barb.

Unless you want their harm to come to you,

Give up bad words, bad teaching, and bad thought.


#1021: From Rumi's Kolliyaat-e Shams-e Tabrizi


I have a bad case of writer's block this morning, feeling lowly and afraid. Still cheerful, still feeling the warmth of the sun's rays. But stuck, somehow, for things to say. I chose today's verse because it refers to this issue. The barb is usually my style and the barb does indeed come back to bite one. However, I have little confidence in my powers to write healing words, balm for the wounds of today.

If you have nothing positive to say, then keep your mouth shut. That seems to be the idea. And this morning at least, I just can't add to that.
 

3 Comments:

At Friday, 13 January, 2006, Blogger Bob Hoeppner said...

No way could I give up bad words. I swear like a sailor. Hey, I was a sailor, so gimme a break!

 
At Friday, 13 January, 2006, Blogger Arizona said...

I rather think you like being sworn at, so swearing is no problem. Me, I often dish it out and then whine when asked to take it. I like you because you're a gentle disher-out despite your naval background.

I once also worked in the navy, only as a defense scientist. I calculated probabilities of detecting a submarine intent on attacking a convoy. I also left after about 3 years due to conscientious objection. War is a hard game and it was turning my stomach.

 
At Friday, 13 January, 2006, Blogger Bob Hoeppner said...

I served with the greatest guys I've ever known. But I did questionable things.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home