Sunday, January 29, 2006

grand slam titles

I asked, "What should I do?", He said, "That's it.

Keep asking what to do.", I asked, "That's it?

Is that the best that you can do?", He turned to me:

"Truth seeker, stick to this: What should I do?"


#1293: From Rumi's Kolliyaat-e Shams-e Tabrizi


My recent thoughts have been on the theme of the real, the basic, the substantial, the material, the earth, all these being Platonic ideals that translate into survival, money, income, earnings, payment. Money makes the world go round. I remain, currently, without income, still exploring ideas, still dreaming up schemes, but still without real, actual income. "What should I do?" seems a perfect question right now.

Today, I'll be looking forward to the men's singles final at the Australian Open tennis tonight, between Roger Federer and Marcos Baghdatis. These tennis matches bring home the real: they start with speculation as to who will win and they always end in a result, often with a surprise twist to it. Yesterday, in the women's singles final, the twist came in the retirement of the favourite Justine Henin-Hardenne in favour of the eventual winner Amelie Mauresmo. I was backing Mauresmo so I was glad she won but disappointed that it hadn't been the result of a real fight. Her semifinal against Kim Clijsters ended the same way. In each case, Mauresmo was a set ahead and powering on and I can't help but wonder whether retirement wasn't really relinquishment. I wish Amelie well and hope she goes on to win another Grand Slam this year, maybe in her home town at Roland Garros.

Mauresmo

Amelie Mauresmo @ australianopen.com


 

2 Comments:

At Monday, 30 January, 2006, Blogger Bob Hoeppner said...

Good luck on pursuing your ideas, dreams and schemes!

 
At Monday, 30 January, 2006, Blogger Arizona said...

Thanks, Bob. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home