Monday, June 13, 2005

head meets heart

Each day my heart drinks yet a new sweet draught

Whose pleasure makes it quite forget what's gone.

My heart is first to sip love's wine, then gives

A taste to me: I faint, all sense withdrawn.


#845: From Rumi's Kolliyaat-e Shams-e Tabrizi

Search words: new

I woke with a sense of a new beginning. I guess every new day starts that way but the feeling was stronger than usual today. It feels like a bigger start is heralded.

Rumi is finding joy amidst his sorrow here. Out of the darkness of his despair at the loss of Shams, he is drinking in new days and new loves. Since Rumi was a scholar, legal expert and professor, his sense of "I" would be in the head or intellect. When he accepts a sip of wine from his heart, it is his thinking that is joining with his feeling or evaluating function. When the two are combined, it is magic and Rumi is lost in the resulting sense of wholeness. Well, that's my spin on it anyway.
 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home