Tuesday, February 07, 2006

a scattered mind

My love, accept my service one more time:

Take pity on my weak and scattered mind;

But if I should offend you yet again,

Let my helpless cries go unheard then.


#1374: From Rumi's Kolliyaat-e Shams-e Tabrizi


In my exchange of views with Segovius and in relation to yesterday's quatrain, he pointed out that I might have considered "that the poet is describing his previously wayward state in a sorrowful way rather than celebrating it as you seem to understand it". Now that I have calmed down somewhat and slept on this, I must agree with him. Rumi does seem to be ruing a past in which he failed to rue. He is certainly repudiating certain credentials for religious authenticity, viz, lengthy study of the sacred texts, lengthy periods alone and avoiding earthly temptations, and wider academic and literary studies. Sufi teachers often sent students off to learn true wisdom from humble tradespeople, from cleaners, housewives, even slaves and servants. As a woman, I've had a large dose of all that and I've had enough.

And yet I've turned up to this page again to do service to my love which remains, for now, embodied in these Rumi quatrains. I've chosen a verse that continues in much the same vein as yesterday's. Rumi is essentially asking for forgiveness and the reference to "weak and scattered mind" suggests that his sin has been a lack of focus. He asks for just one more go and insists that it be the last.

If he was pleading forgiveness from me, I would insist that he have more than just the one go. Sometimes we need to make the same mistake quite a few times, in order to explore its many facets. If the repetition has fulfilled its purpose and becomes tedious, then perhaps the signal is there for change.

I love the Rumi verses where opposites are superimposed. In this case the opposites referred to might be a determined focussing in contrast to a fickle straying. Both are needed for true creativity and fulfilled living. These opposites lie very close to the order/chaos set but they envision that contrast more along the lines of sticking to something or straying off at a tangent. It is a central theme of Islam, of course:

From my own copy of "The Noble Qur'an" distributed freely to people attending an interfaith meeting (mainly between Christians and Muslims) during 2005:

Last two verses of the opening sura, 1:6-7
Guide us to the Straight Way.
The Way of those on whom You have bestowed Your Grace, not (the way) of those who earned Your Anger (such as the Jews), nor of those who went astray (such as the Christians).

Translated by Dr. Muhammad Taqi-ud-Din Al-Hilali and Dr. Muhammad Muhsin Khan.
Printed by the King Fahd Complex for the Printing of the Holy Qur'an.


Rumi was indeed a great sinner, his was indeed a most weak and scattered mind. However, therein lay his genius and the fuel for his extraordinarily prolific writing. I pray to God that I may sin at least as much as he.
 

2 Comments:

At Friday, 10 February, 2006, Blogger Arizona said...

Hello there, Segovius,

Great to see you popping in for a coffee break.

I'm looking forward to "going there" sometime and learning just how Islam teaches the coincidentia oppositorum.

I'm surprised you didn't bring up the Quranic story about Khidr in which an apparently evil deed has an underlying benificent purpose.

In our discussions, you know, it was you who brought up the word "evil" (probably way back at the comments on your piece on "Root of All Evil"). It is not a word I use unless responding to someone else's use of it.

I do try my best to bow to nothing.

I would agree that "it's good to keep those in line who need keeping in line". Yes, we do need our police forces and our armies. They may not be enough against the kind of urban terrorism that we are up against. We may need to use other resources.

Thank you for the present. Would that we could all follow Ibn Arabi without fear of censure from those who do not understand.

 
At Friday, 10 February, 2006, Blogger Arizona said...

PS: I just checked. It was under the "Speech: free or expensive?" piece.

You wrote:
"The above statement will still hold true. Why? Because a Muslim is someone who is submitted to God and not someone submitted to evil."

Later, you quoted the Masnavi with a couple of "evil" words in that. And then you said:
"If you look for evil you will surely find it anywhere."

Maybe so, but rarely will you find it in my own writings.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home